Trying New Fibromyalgia Remedies: Hemp

So, if you've been following the saga, you know that this is part of my multi-year experiment to get my fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue under control. I left work in 2016 due my complete disability to do my job. Symptoms that landed me in trouble: Extreme fatigue and exhaustion, brain fog and cognitive dysfunction, widespread pain, migraine, chronic knee pain, sleep disorder. I have tried a series of prescriptions from my doctors, including Cymbalta, amitriptyline, fluoxetine, gabapentin, cyclobenzaprine. None of these have worked for my pain, exhaustion, or sleep disorders. I have since decided to approach my health from a more natural viewpoint. 
Photo by Chris H, used according to license.

I have tried herbs for migraines with considerable success. I have also tried bromelain and other natural remedies for chronic pain. Now I've decided to try hemp oil.

Hemp oil is all the rage right now for treating many autoimmune diseases, particularly the invisibile illnesses, such as fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, lupus and other diseases that get very little research or have no routine successful treatment. I have read claims that hemp oil can treat chronic pain, fatigue, depression, and other ailments.

All of this sounds good, but I wanted to do my own research. I've had autoimmune diseases for 20 years, so I don't follow fads for treatment. HighlandPharms discusses how hemp oil, also called CBD (cannabinoid) oil, can treat depression.

I have read that it can take 4-8 weeks to see a real change in the body when trying hemp therapies, much like most other medical treatments. I will be keeping a diary to track the changes and report back here regularly. My first hemp therapy product arrived on Saturday and I started with a half dose in the morning and a half dose in the afternoon. This particular one is supposed to last 12 hours, so that's my justification for that. I also don't want to jump in too fast with something new. I'll work my way up to a full dose over a week or longer.

So far, the most noticeable change is a major cognitive improvement. I have had very little brain fog since Saturday. I have tried taking one dose in the morning vs taking 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the late afternoon. When I took just the one dose, I felt heavy in the evening. That's really the best word for it. Weighed down. Spoonies probably understand that! When I took two half doses, though, I felt pretty consistently okay. I'll keep you updated as the treatment experiment progresses.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Stripe Scarf

New Pattern: Neapolitan Baby Shrug

Mental Health Care