Diagonal Stripe Stroller Blanket

A friend of mine is having her first baby girl anytime now. She has picked out the beautiful name, painted the nursery, and is ready to be a mama! Her baby shower was a few weeks ago, so I can finally put out the pattern I used for her baby blanket. I got this idea from the beautiful hooded blankets that my mother made for my boys when they were due. My first confession is that this is not a hooded blanket nor is it nearly so intricate as my mother's work. I wanted to design something that would be reasonably quick, easy for beginning knitters, and could be made with the yarn I already had.

I picked up some lovely ivory and peach yarns at the thrift store, so I wanted to use those for the blanket. I agonized over what to make for ages! Like, the entire summer until almost August! I finally decided on a wide stripe diagonal baby blanket. Due to my limitations in needles (can't find my circulars), I was limited to what I could do with the needles I had. So rather than a full-sized blanket, I decided to make a stroller blanket--perfect for those quick outings where a full-size blanket would be too big in the stroller or car seat.


You'll notice that this one is a wee bit lopsided with some extra ivory on one side. That's completely intentional! Well, okay, I ran out of ivory a few rows early. But I like the look anyway.

Diagonal Stripe Stroller Blanket

Materials
1 ball each of two colors worsted weight yarn
Size 8 28" knitting needles, preferably circular

Pattern 

Cast on 4 st with the main color.
Row 1: K2, yo, k2. Turn. 5 stitches on needle.
Row 2: K2, yo, k3. Turn. 6 stitches on needle.
Row 3: K2, yo, knit across. Turn.
Continue row three until you have 49 stitches on the needle.
K2, yo, knit across to last stitch. Switch yarn colors and pull second color through during final stitch. Turn.

Continue row 3 with second color until you have 100 stitches on the needle.
Knit across for next two rows.

Next, begin the decrease:
K2, K2tog, yo, k2tog, knit across. Turn. 99 stitches on needle.
Continue until you have 51 stitches on the needle.
K2, K2tog, yo K2tog, knit to last stitch. Switch yarn color back to main color and pull the new color through during the final stitch. Turn.

K2, K2tog, yo, K2tog, knit across. Turn. 49 stitches on needle.
Continue until you have four stitches on the needle.

Bind off and weave in ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Stripe Scarf

New Pattern: Neapolitan Baby Shrug

Mental Health Care