Bad Start Turned Good

Okay, so this one is more about the power of prayer and a mom's morning that started off, well, let's call it not good for the sake of the kids, ok?

So last night just before bed I started to get a headache. By the time I made it to bed, the pain was spreading quickly. I put on my usual cold cloth compress with peppermint oil and hit the sack as fast as I could. When I woke up, that headache was but a whisper in the back of my head. But even those whispers are a bit of a scare these days. I've had migraines off and on for the last 2-3 weeks.

I thought very seriously about skipping work. I got up and went to the bathroom and back, turned off one alarm clock and laid back down.  Then the other went off again. Yes, I have two alarm clocks. Yes, I need them both. Yes, I'm that hard to get out of bed. Ask my husband, poor guy. In my defense, one of them is my phone. Then I told myself this is foolish. If my boss wasn't on vacation I would go in anyway and work as long as I could. I have stuff to do. Plus, if I don't go to the office I can't work out in the company pool. So I finally dragged my sorry rear out of bed and borrowed my five year old son for company while I got dressed. His smiling face makes anything easier.

After I was dressed, I went to make my breakfast shake and coffee to find my older son dragging and begging not to go to his last day of summer camp. He wanted to go to work with me. Unfortunately, he's not allowed in the pool due to his age and that was my motivation for going to work after all. And he really needs to work through his issues with the camp. So we talked and prayed and finally we all went our separate ways-them to camp and me to work.

Before even getting out of our neighborhood I hit the telltale traffic jam that says the private school is back in session. Forehead smack! I can't believe I forgot! Never leave the house between 7:30 and 8am for just this reason. It's pointless. And my Christian radio station is not coming in this morning-just static. Argh! So I tried to push it all off and just smile and wait. Got through that jam and found another later on.

This one the whole road was blocked-three police cars, on fire truck and at least one ambulance. I pray for the people involved immediately. After much diggering around, we get rerouted in a direction I don't know. The guy in front of me goes, the guy behind me cuts me and goes before the cop makes me stop so they can reposition the cars. Okay. Deep breath. Finally he indicates for me to go with a sharp look for the moron behind me that wanted to cut me off (thank you very much!) and I go-but I have no idea how to get back to where I need to go! So I pull over into a shopping center-and every car behind me follows me! Finally I have to park my car to get away from these folks and let about 20 cars by. Then I'm able to pull out-not without some last second moron flying around the corner, behind me AS I'm pulling out-and I'm now able to follow them back into our route.

At this point I'm already mentally worn out. I start praying again. Lord, please help me. I just want to get to work in one piece. Please help me survive this and get to work safely. I don't care how long it takes. Really. Note, my radio station is still not coming in-not on any of the three frequencies they use. Sigh. But I keep praying. Finally I get to work with only a few more near misses and find a beautiful parking spot right where I need it. Thank you, Lord! I decide that's my day turner and it's going to be great from here!

As I get to work I jump straight into things- talking to co-workers, answering questions, sending queries. At 9 I head to the pool for my workout. I have a lovely conversation with another water jogger who usually is finishing up when I arrive. He's been too busy to come and I've actually missed him. It was very nice. But about the time he finishes up (earlier than me), I realize my headache is back. By the time I'm done in the pool, it's beginning to pound. I clean up and return to the office.

Now it's brick wall time. The answers to my queries are less than optimum or non-existant. I do what I can, but nothing is working. My head feels like I really DID hit it against a brick wall. I cry a little-I pray. I take a few ibuprofen. Rinse and repeat (except the pills). Finally it all gets worked out and the headache goes away again. I thank the Lord for the headache leaving and resolve to get home and do that last workout I want to do today (Slim in 6).

Now I'm done and feeling great. I am hoping the headache stays gone-but looking back I have to think that the day really did turn out good. If nothing else, I spent a LOT of time relying on God, which I needed to do. I could live without the extra headaches, though. But I'm finding that the meditation of prayer is more helpful than almost anything else I have done in the past for these headaches.


Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Stripe Scarf

New Pattern: Neapolitan Baby Shrug

Update on Migraines and Herbs