Kindle Saga

Now those of you who know me well know that I have become absolutely addicted to reading my books on Kindle. I love my Kindle reader and wouldn't go back to paper books for anything (except, perhaps, a lack of a Kindle edition). And no, Amazon.com did not pay me to say that. ;)

I've always been the kind of person to read more than one book at a time. One or two fiction, a biography, self-help, my Bible, knitting and crochet books, and more. I sometimes have been reading as many as five at a time. With my Kindle I can carry my entire library everywhere. Oh, and I also sometimes use it to look up song lyrics on the 'net when I need to sing at church and am a little self-conscious about forgetting the words.

So imagine my disappointment when my new 3G Kindle stopped working a couple months ago. I tried to turn it on and the screen was damaged. Between you and me, I suspect little feet kicked it while we were in church. Oh, yes, did I not mention that? My Bible is on my Kindle too and that's the one I take to church with me. It has hundreds of annotations already and I also sometimes highlight what the pastor is saying and post it to Facebook that way. Yes, in church. So slap my hand with a ruler.

I had to get that Kindle replaced with a new one. That one lasted about one day before it did the same thing. I suspect the same cause, too. So now it was time to get it replaced again and this time I charged the kids for a new cover to protect it so that wouldn't happen again. Through all of this Amazon has been most gracious. They don't even ask if I broke the thing intentionally (which I don't, obviously), they just replace it and send me a postage paid label to send back the broken one.

I am currently on my third 3G Kindle and it has gotten unreliable about turning on. Sometimes I have to spend 15-20 minutes getting it to reboot before it will turn on and re-load my library. Very strange. I called today and sure enough they are quite happy to send me yet another Kindle as I return this one. I wish we could have just pulled a switch to fix it, but such is their methodology. So now I'll be going on my Fourth 3G Kindle since our anniversary in February. I'm starting to think either the Kindle DX is just sturdier, or my crocheted cotton cover was better than the jackets you can get on Amazon.com. :)

But through it all, I have my Kindle app for iPhone and my Kindle app for PC to read my books for back-up. Thank goodness for that!

So tell me, what's your favorite item that you wouldn't want to live without that breaks easily or you protect ferociously?

If you are also a Kindle fan, what's the greatest or weirdest thing you've read on your Kindle?

Comments

Giddy said…
I'm with you in that I can't live without my Kindle...unbelievably, I'm still on my first one (knock on wood) although I'm about to buy my second case for it as THAT broke the other day! :)

Greatest book I've read - hmmm, there have been quite a few. I'm really enjoying a book on the history of Sesame Street right now, and I've also read some great books about biowarfare and true crime (makes me sound like a weirdo, huh?) ;) I also have the Bible downloaded, as well as a bounch of reference books on cooking, languages, writing, business, economics, patents, and biology. I'm like you in that I read about five books at once - I'm currently reading Wuthering Heights (which I'm losing patience with; not sure if I like this book or not) along with the Sesame Street history, "The Graduate" (which I'm not liking either", and an anatomy of the Wall Street financial collapse, as written in a report by a US government committee. (Told you I was weird.) :)
B.Mooney said…
I'm a Kindle fan too. I'm on my second unit - the first had an incident with a leaky soda, making the keypad non-functional.

My favorite series (A Song of Ice and Fire) will have the new hardback mid-July, and I'm wrestling with getting a hardback or reading it the way I want to read it.

For an interesting read, try the Manual of Detection, by Jebediah Berry. That was one of my first Kindle purchases.

Popular posts from this blog

Peppermint Stripe Scarf

New Pattern: Neapolitan Baby Shrug

Mental Health Care